Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Earlshall, Dovecot

Dovecot (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Earlshall, Dovecot

Classification Dovecot (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Leuchars; Earlshall Policies; Doocot

Canmore ID 33220

Site Number NO42SE 4

NGR NO 46460 21003

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33220

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Leuchars
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO42SE 4 46460 21003

(NO 4646 2100) Dovecot (NAT)

OS 6" map (1919)

See also NO42SE 3.00.

Dovecot, Earlshall, dated 1599. "Some 70 yards SSW of the courtyard of Earlshall is a dovecot of unusual type. It is built of rubble, with a single string-course...and is oblong on plan, measuring 16'5" x 22'4" externally. There are two storeys, each with a window, and the gabels are skewed. The entrance to the lower part has on each side an angled opening with a stone shelf, through which apparently the birds entered. A small panel set over the lower entrance bears initials A.B. and the date 1599.

RCAHMS 1933

The dovecot is in good condition, and is as described above.

Visited by OS (DS) 19 October 1956

OS (DS) confirmed.

Visited by OS (RDL) 5 June 1964.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions