Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Moy, Toll House

Toll House (19th Century)

Site Name Moy, Toll House

Classification Toll House (19th Century)

Canmore ID 331579

Site Number NH73SE 35

NGR NH 7650 3456

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Moy And Dalarossie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire


External Reference (2010)

There was a toll house on the Parliamentary road situated in the field adjacent to Porter's Lodge. It was demolished in 1873. All that can be seen now is a slight mound where the house stood, and the iron gate which has now been hung at the nearby stone gatepost.

On 17th January 1873 Peter Ross of Mill Croft quoted the sum of £141 to carry out work on a new curved dyke and a cottage (Sandside) according to the specifications set out by Mr MacBean of Tomatin Estate. These were the instructions regarding the stones removed from the Toll House:

'The contractor to remove the thatch & roof of the old Toll House and lay all woodwork, windows & doors etc aside which will be carried away by the employer. The contractor to use the stones of said house & of the dyke behind the house so far as the new dyke goes for the cottage & new dyke. All rubbish accumulating from the removal of the house to be cleared away by the contractor and laid down as may be directed, the foundation for the new dyke to be dug out to the necessary depth and the dyke to extend 38 yards from the end of the upright railing in front of the Porter's Lodge along the roadside with a regular curve and 3ft or thereabout from the border of the approach road...'

Information from the ARCH Community Timelines Course, 2010


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions