Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Elgin, Cooper Park, Drill Hall

Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (20th Century), Library (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Elgin, Cooper Park, Drill Hall

Classification Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (20th Century), Library (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Cowper Park Library

Canmore ID 331416

Site Number NJ26SW 594

NGR NJ 21735 63060

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/331416

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Elgin
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (20 June 2013)

The Cowper (now Cooper) Park drill hall was purpose-built and in use by 1908. It is a large building with crow-stepped gables and transepts, one of which is extended and has a bartizan at the corner. Behind, there is a two-storey block with dormers. There is a tall tower in the angle of the hall and transept. In 1914-18, it was the base for "E" Squadron, 2nd Scottish Horse and housed the HQ and "B" and "C" Companies of the 6th battalion Seaforth Highlanders.

The building is now part of Elgin Library.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 20 June 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions