Peterhead, Kirk Street, Drill Hall
Drill Hall (20th Century), Drill Hall (first World War)
- Council Aberdeenshire
- Parish Peterhead
- Former Region Grampian
- Former District Banff And Buchan
- Former County Aberdeenshire
Peterhead drill hall was a substantial Scottish baronial building that occupied a prominent position facing east along Kirk Street, in a site now occupied by a major road junction. The former garden of the hall survives, and is the site of the town’s war memorial. The building was demolished in the 1970s. In 1914-18 the hall was the drill station for “F” Squadron, 2nd Scottish Horse and was the HQ of the 5th Gordon Highlanders, and drill station for “B” and “C” Companies of the battalion.
Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 19 June 2013.
Project (March 2013 - September 2013)
A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.