Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fort George Seaplane Base

Seaplane Base (First World War)

Site Name Fort George Seaplane Base

Classification Seaplane Base (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Ardesier Seaplane Base

Canmore ID 331289

Site Number NH75NE 53

NGR NH 7620 5652

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/331289

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Ardersier
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (10 June 2013)

A naval seaplane station was established close to the fleet base at Invergordon, in sheltered water at Fort George. The seaplane station at Cromarty (operating in 1913) had been deemed too exposed and the aircraft, stores and Bessoneaux canvas hangar from Cromarty were moved to Fort George late in that year. Operations ceased here at some point in the spring or summer of 1915. The precise location of the seaplane station is not known, but a concrete platform on the southern which may be a second world war landing platform (see NH75NE 50), sheltered, side of the 18th-century fort might mark its location.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 10 June 2013

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions