Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tayport, Tay Street, Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Tayport, Tay Street, Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Tayport Station

Canmore ID 33087

Site Number NO42NE 35

NGR NO 45811 29052

NGR Description Centred NO 45811 29052

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33087

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Ferry-port-on-craig
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Architecture Notes

NO42NE 35 45811 29052

Station probably opened 13.5.1879 (Newport Railway); closed 9.1.1956 for passenger trains to Leuchars and 18.9.1967 for all traffic.

'Station opened originally in 1848 under the auspices of the Edinburgh and Northern Railway; it was the northern terminus. The line was extended to East Newport in 1878 and to Wormit and Dundee on 13 May 1879'.

Information from Mr A Nisbet 27 September 2001.

No evidence could be found of the railway station which stood immediately E of Tayport Dock (NO42NE 75).

The station of two platforms, with the main station buildings on the W side with a passenger shelter on the E side platform. At the N end was a footbridge and signal box guarding a level crossing allowing road traffic into the docks.

In the area around the docks were extensive freight sidings serving both the harbour and a large timber yard.

The station and surrounding area are visible on RAF WW II oblique aerial photographs (NLA 66, frames 0034-0035, 0037, 0039-0040, 0044, flown 2 July 1943).

Visited by RCAHMS (DE), 26 November 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions