Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gairloch Drill Hall

Drill Hall (19-20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War)

Site Name Gairloch Drill Hall

Classification Drill Hall (19-20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War)

Canmore ID 330635

Site Number NG87NW 51

NGR NG 80134 77018

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/330635

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Gairloch
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (19 July 2013)

The drill hall is a corrugated iron hut adjacent to the Free Presbyterian Church. It has an aisle to the east and two small extensions to the south. It was not mapped on the 2nd edition 1:2500 map. Osborne states that it was built before the First World War. In 1914 the hall was the base for "D" Company, 4th battalion Seaforth Highlanders.

The building survives but appears derelict.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 19 July 2013.

Activities

External Reference (2011)

This drill hall was recorded as part of the ARCH Community Timelines Project. More information is available on the Highland HER.

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions