Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rumgally House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Rumgally House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 33016

Site Number NO41SW 1

NGR NO 40788 14886

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33016

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Kemback
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO41SW 1.00 40788 14886

(NO 4078 1488) Rumgally House (NAT)

OS 6" map (1920)

An armorial panel over a former entrance at Rumgally bears the date 1650. Several alterations have been made upon the house showing the original wall to be about 3 feet thick. The house "is supposed to have been a resting place for several of the Scottish Kings, when travelling between St Andrews and Falkland Palace."

Name Book 1854

"Rumgally belonged to 'James Butellare' in 1446, and is included in the charger of 1528, erecting certain lands belonging to Sir William Scott of Balweary into the barony of Strathmiglo. For some time the estate was in the posses sion of a cadet of the family of Wemyss of Wemyss" It was acquired in 1658 by the Rev. James M'Gill, minister of Largo.

A H Millar 1895

"Rungallie with lease of manor, mill" etc. is mentioned in a charter of Charles I, dated at Greenwich 18th June 1635.

Reg Magni Sig Reg Scot 1634-51

The southern part of Rumgally House is old, but has been added to on the north and east at several periods. The exact date of the existing old block is not certain (J H Graham, owner, Rumgally House, Cupar, Fife). The oldest portion is L-shaped on plan and has a round tower in the re-entrant angle. There is also a small corbelled turret on the SW angle of the west wing. The building has been completely restored and the walls harled. A triangular-shaped tablet in the wall of the west wing contains an inscription "P.S. A.L.:37..." the rest is a text. Above this is a weather-worn armorial panel. In the gardens, to the NW of the house , is a rectangular Dovecot with sloping roof and crow-stepped gables - typical of the many late 17th/18th century dovecots to be found in Fife (NO 4067 1493).

The plan and style of Rumgally house is suggestive of a late 16th/early 17th century mansion.

Visited by OS (JLD) 24 October 1956

OS (JLD) confirmed.

Visited by OS (RDL) 25 May 1964

Rumgally House (NR)

OS 1" map, no.56, (1963)

Architecture Notes

NO41SW 1.00 40788 14886

NO41SW 1.01 40674 14934 Dovecot

NO41SW 1.02 4072 1494 Stables

See also:

Rumgully Mains

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions