Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverness, Caledonian Canal, Muirtown Swing Bridge

Swing Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Inverness, Caledonian Canal, Muirtown Swing Bridge

Classification Swing Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) 1816 Bridge

Canmore ID 330076

Site Number NH64NE 825

NGR NH 6534 4582

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/330076

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Inverness And Bona
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Activities

Field Visit (16 December 2012 - 16 December 2012)

The original double-sided swing bridge of 1816 is recorded on the OS 6-inch map 1st edition (Inverness-shire 1874, sheet iv) and 2nd edition (Inverness-shire 1907, sheet iv). It was replaced in 1935 by the current swing bridge (NH64NE 143).

The stone substructure of the bridge, which was aligned with Telford Street, has been modified, especially on the western bank of the canal to accommodate the later replacement bridge.

On the eastern bank the circular baseplate with its central pivot and circular track survives.

Visited by Scottish Canals (Bob Jones and Rosemary Jones), December 2012

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions