Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Papa Stronsay, Earl's Knoll

Long Cairn (Neolithic), Windmill (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Papa Stronsay, Earl's Knoll

Classification Long Cairn (Neolithic), Windmill (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Earl's Knowe

Canmore ID 3290

Site Number HY62NE 13

NGR HY 6682 2920

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/3290

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Stronsay
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

HY62NE 13 6682 2920

(HY 6682 2920) Earls Knoll (NAT)

(HY 6687 2918) Grave (NAT)

OS 6" map, Orkney, 1st ed.,(1879).

A long cairn (A S Henshall 1963) lying due east-west and measuring 60-70 yds long by 20 yds across the east end where it attains its maximum height. The published grave is described as lying in the knoll and having a rude stone standing at the head and foot. Tradition says it is the grave of a knight whose corpse was found on the shore clad in full armour (Name Book 1879).

This may be the same grave as that described by Anderson as having been excavated in July 1792 when human bones of both ordinary and enormous size were found.

OSA 1795; RCAHMS 1946, visited 1928.

'Earls Knoll' a turf-covered long cairn measuring about 75.0m E-W by 12.0m transversely near its W end and c20.0m at its E end, and rising from 0.8m in the W to 2.2m in the E. Ploughing has obscured details of both ends, but the curving sides are plainly visible. The W end is surmounted by the base of an old windmill. There is no sign of an excavation, and no trace of the published grave and no local knowledge of it.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (AA) 16 July 1970.

This exceptionally long mound, 75m by 12m at the W end and 20m at the E, where it attains a height of 2.2m, is known to have contained numerous burials, but it is not recorded how they were disposed.

D Fraser 1982; RCAHMS 1984, visited July 1979.

Scheduled as 'Earl's Knoll, long cairn and windmill SSW of East House'.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 6 December 2000.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions