Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Essential maintenance

HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:

- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)

 - Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)

 - Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)

 General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

 We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.

 

Upper Largo, Largo House

Country House (18th Century)

Site Name Upper Largo, Largo House

Classification Country House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Largo House Policies

Canmore ID 32803

Site Number NO40SW 37

NGR NO 42039 03415

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32803

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Largo
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO40SW 37.00 42039 03415

NO40SW 37.01 NO 41972 03518 Walled Garden

NO40SW 37.02 NO 4198 0345 Stables

NO40SW 37.03 NO 42313 03477 Gate Piers at East Entrance

See also:

NO40SW 3 NO 41954 03556 Sir Andrew Wood's Tower

NO40SW 40 NO 4231 0347 East Lodge

Architecture Notes

INFORMATION TAKEN FROM THE ARCHITECTURE CATALOGUE

DATE: 1750

Extensions, 1831. D.H.L.

REFERENCE:

EDINBURGH PUBLIC LIBRARY:

Jas. Grant's Sketch Book in MSS Nos 5, 21 & 22 - 3 drawings

SCOTTISH NATIONAL PORTRAIT GALLERY:

Scots Magazine, March 1812

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Site Management (2 July 1990)

Classical house (now roofless) with symmetrical 7-bay front, the centre 3 bays advanced and pedimented. 4-bay flanks and 3-bay semi-circular central projection at rear. 2 storeys over raised basement. Diagonally droved ashlar with polished dressings and rusticated quoins. Harled rubble flanks and rear. Central door with Ionic pilastered doorpiece and segmental, dated pediment; 2 flanking windows with elaborate egg and dart architraves, coat-of-arms in pediment. Band course over basement continuing on all elevations; all east windows with lugged architraves, apron panels at ground, bracketted cills above, simple margins to remaining elevations. Rear of main block, 7 windows with shallow 3 window central bow (blind central). Harled rubble with ashlar dressings and band at ground floor. A few remains of interior plaster survive, interior otherwise destroyed.

John Adam supplied a chimney piece for the house, built for the Durham family. A rock faced garden pavilion said to have been in the grounds of Largo House is now resited in the garden of Balsusnie, High Street, Upper Largo. (Historic Scotland)

The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland has suggested that the design is copied from Colin Campbell's Shawfield of 1712 in Glasgow. Largo housed Polish soldiers during WWII, and then the Polish Military Geographical Institute until 1946.

Activities

Photographic Survey (1956)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1956.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions