Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Knock Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Knock Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 32456

Site Number NO39NE 4

NGR NO 35226 95157

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32456

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Glenmuick, Tullich And Glengairn
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NO39NE 4 35226 95157

(NO 3522 9515) Knock Castle (NR) (Ruins of)

OS 6" map, (1938)

Architecture Notes

NOTES:

A rectangular keep, 27 1/2ft by 22ft, with walls about 4ft thick and a vaulted ground floor, strongly resembling a pele tower of the Borders. Internally it is entirely ruined. The foundations of the enclosing wall of the courtyard may still be traced. The tower and courtyard, occupying the top of a rocky conical hill, appear to be of late work, probably about 1600. Simpson adds that the foundations of a strong tower-like structuce to the SW may represent an earlier tower said to have been destroyed by the Clan Chattan (MacIntosh) in 1590.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; W D Simpson 1924; A Laing nd.

Knock Castle, generally as described and illustrated by Simpson. The foundations of the tower to the W, allegedly destroyed in AD. 1590, appear to have a corn-drying kiln within it.

Re-surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (N K B) 13 November 1968.

Collapsed stonework was removed to a depth of 1m over the complete basement area of the tower-house in advance of HBM consolidation work. The original mortar floor level was revealed at this depth, having been sealed by the collapsed ground floor vault. Apart from broken roof slates in the rubble there were no finds.

P Yeoman 1987.

Listed.

Scottish Castle Survey 1988; N Bogdan and I B D Bryce 1991.

Visible on air photographs AAS/93/11/G23/8-10. Copies held by Grampian Regional Council.

Information from M Greig, Grampian Regional Council, March 1994.

Roofless towerhouse of c.1600. 3-storey and attic with gabled caphouse to SE corner.

This site was recorded as part of the Listed Buildings Recording Programme (LBRP) for 2001-02.

Information from RCAHMS (NMC), 2002.

Activities

Watching Brief (9 November 2011)

NO 3521 9515 (centred on) A watching brief was undertaken on 9 November 2011 during the excavation of three small holes for permanent survey markers. There were no finds or features of archaeological significance.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: Historic Scotland

Paul Fox, Kirkdale Archaeology 2012

OASIS ID: kirkdale1-310898

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions