Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fowlis Easter Church And Churchyard

Church (Period Unassigned), Churchyard (Period Unassigned), Pillory (Post Medieval)

Site Name Fowlis Easter Church And Churchyard

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Churchyard (Period Unassigned), Pillory (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) St Marnoch's Parish Church; Foulis Easter

Canmore ID 32054

Site Number NO33SW 9

NGR NO 32210 33455

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32054

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Fowlis Easter (Angus)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO33SW 9.00 32210 33455.

NO33SW 9.01 32175 33478 Hearse House.

(NO 3220 3345) Church (NAT) The Jougs (NR)

OS 6" map, Forfarshire, 2nd ed., (1926)

Fowlis Church or St Marnock's (notice board) is as described, and is still in use. The jougs are still in situ by the W doorway.

Visited by OS (J L D) 18 April 1958.

Architecture Notes

Dundee, Fowlis Easter Church.

Fowlis Easter church, one of the best preserved and interesting of the minor churches of its period, is a simple oblong structure, built of ashlar and measuring c. 88' x 28'. It dates from the 15th century (Warden 1880-5).

The church is first noted in 1180, and it was dedicated to St Marnoch or Marnan in 1242 by the Bishop of St Andrews.

Jougs are attached near the W doorway of the church (Billings 1909).

An inscription in this church indicates that it was built in 1453 probably by Andrew, Lord Gray, who is frequently regarded as the founder of the College. This building may have replaced an earlier parish church. A note (see Easson 1957) attributes the collegiate foundation to a later Lord Gray (d. 1541). The 16th century erection of the College gains credence from the fact that the first mention of a provost, along with seven prebendaries is found in 1538.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896-7; A J Warden 1880-5; R W Billings 1909; D E Easson 1957.

Architects:

Restorations by Chas. Edward and T.S. Robertson 1889

(see note in Waddell notebooks NMRS).

Activities

Antiquarian Observation (1857 - 1861)

Mason's marks from Scottish churches, abbeys and castles recorded between 1857 and 1861 on 29 drawings in the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Collection.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions