Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Abercrombie Church, Abercromby 4

Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Site Name Abercrombie Church, Abercromby 4

Classification Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Chapel

Canmore ID 319284

Site Number NO50SW 1.04

NGR NO 52189 03433

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Monance
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife


Abercrombie 4, Fife, cross-slab fragment

Measurements: H 0.66m, W 0.36m, D 0.13m

Stone type: sandstone

Place of discovery: NO 52189 03433

Present location: at Abercrombie Church.

Evidence for discovery: recorded around 1850 by Stuart, re-used in the wall of the church. John Gifford attributes the creation of the north door using fragments of medieval gravestones to a reconstruction of 1597-1602, while the church was still in use as the parish church (1988, 86). This slab is set into the lower part of the inner face of the left-hand jamb (as seen from outside the church),

Present condition: very weathered.


This is part of the side of what was probably a cross-slab, though only faces C and D are visible. Carved in relief on face C are a quadruped, a boar and a human figure within a roll-moulded frame. Face D bears traces of two panels, the upper containing interlace pattern.

Date: ninth century.

References: Stuart 1856, pl 125: ECMS pt 3, 349-50 (Abercromby); Gifford 1988.

Compiled by A Ritchie 2016


Reference (1903)

Abercromby No.4 is a fragment of an upright cross-slab (?) of sandstone, of irregular four-sided shape (broken round three edges), 2 feet 2 inches high by 1 foot 2 inches wide by 5 inches thick, sculptured in relief on two faces thus-

Front.-Part of a panel, containing a figure-subject consisting of two beasts and a man in vertical row, one below the other.

Right side.- Parts of two panels of defaced sculpture.

J R Allen and J Anderson 1903


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions