Balluderon, 'st Martins Stone'
Cross Slab (Pictish), Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)
- Council Angus
- Parish Tealing
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District City Of Dundee
- Former County Angus
'Martin's Stone': a broken cross-slab standing within an iron fence, is as described and illustrated.
New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845.
Martin's Stone is an upright cross-slab (Class II) 4' high by 2'3" wide, sculptured in relief on one side.
J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.
Field Visit (1980)
Measuring 2m x 0.68m x 0.17m, it is of sandstone and is broken away at the top. On one face the lower end of a cross-shaft bearing a horseman, the elephant, serpent and 2-rod symbols and a second equestrian figure are carved in relief.
Visited by R Jones, 1980.
Class II symbol stone. On the east face are part of a cross with two mounted figures beside which is an elephant over a serpent and Z-rod.
A Mack 1997.
External Reference (7 December 1998)
The monument comprises a Pictish cross-slab dating to the second half of the 1st millennium AD. It stands, within a small railed enclosure, in an area of arable farmland, at around 150m OD and comprises a sandstone slab measuring about 2m high by about 0.7m wide and some 0.2m in thickness.
Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 7 December 1998.