Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Flisk Parish Church

Church (18th Century), Churchyard (Post Medieval), Gravestone(S) (17th Century)

Site Name Flisk Parish Church

Classification Church (18th Century), Churchyard (Post Medieval), Gravestone(S) (17th Century)

Canmore ID 31843

Site Number NO32SW 47

NGR NO 3135 2250

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/31843

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Flisk
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Activities

Field Visit (17 June 1925)

Tombstones, Flisk Church.

Within the churchyard of the present church, lying near or against the southern wall, are four 17th-century tombstones. These are recumbent slabs, coped and carved with the usual funeral emblems. The only one which is inscribed reads: HERE . LYES . THE . REVEREND . MR . IOHN . MAKGILL . SON / TO . THE . LAIRD . OF . RANKILOVR . AND / MINISTER . AT . FLISK . WHO . LABOVRED . IN / THAT . CHARGE . 50 . YEARES . HE . DIED. IN .THE . YEAR . 1659 . MARCH . 22 . OF . HIS . AGE . 77.

The second stone bears a sword on one side and has at the foot a shield charged with a mullet between three cocks, for Cockburn of Henderland ; beside the shield the initial C. can be deciphered.

The third stone bears a shield parted per pale: dexter, a chevron between three boars' heads couped; sinister, a chevron between three boars' heads erased; above the shield are the initials R.B.

The fourth stone is a recumbent slab, now in two portions. It is very worn, but appears to have a quartered shield at each corner and a marginal inscription, which may possibly be of the 16th century.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 17 June 1925.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions