Eday, Carrick House
- Council Orkney Islands
- Parish Eday
- Former Region Orkney Islands Area
- Former District Orkney
- Former County Orkney
HY53NE 4.00 56682 38482.
HY53NE 4.01 HY 56759 38462 Kennels
HY53NE 4.02 HY 56679 38530 Pier
(HY 5668 3847) Carrick House (NAT)
OS 6" map, orkney, 2nd ed.,(1900).
The house is depicted as roofed on the 1st Edition of the OS 25-inch map (Orkney and Shetland, 1881, sheet lxxx.16). The Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey (ONB) describes the house as 'This name applies to the Mansion House occupied by the proprietor of the Island. it is situated at the south side of Calf Sound about the centre of the Island and at the north end. It is built of stone, one portion of the house is three storeys the remainder one or two storeys, all slated and in good repair. "Tradition says Gow the pirate was taken prisoner in this house". (Name Book 1880).
The original portion of this house appears to be a harled, rectangular block, with crow-step gables, measuring 52'6" by 20'4" and containing two storeys and an attic, which presumably dates from the 17th century.
A courtyard to the SE preserves in its wall a gateway whose keystone bears the date 1633. This date and the name of the house commemorate John Stewart, Earl of Carrick who was granted Eday in 1632.
RCAHMS 1946, visited 1929.
Carrick House a laird's house of no architectural merit, as described by the RCAHMS.
Visited by OS (NKB) 24 July 1970.