Longforgan, Main Street, Longforgan Parish Church
Burial Ground (Post Medieval), Church (17th Century), Cross Incised Stone (Early Medieval), Gravestone (Period Unassigned)
Site Name Longforgan, Main Street, Longforgan Parish Church
Classification Burial Ground (Post Medieval), Church (17th Century), Cross Incised Stone (Early Medieval), Gravestone (Period Unassigned)
Canmore ID 31733
Site Number NO32NW 8
NGR NO 30933 29996
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/31733
- Council Perth And Kinross
- Parish Longforgan (Perth And Kinross)
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District City Of Dundee
- Former County Perthshire
NO32NW 8 30933 29996
(NO 3093 2998) Church (NAT)
OS 6" map (1959)
St Modwenna, who died in 521, is said to have founded a church at Longforgan. The present church, which probably stands on its site, was practically rebuilt in 1794, but during renovation about 1900, 15th century mouldings were discovered. A probably 13th century cross and a tombstone dated 1400, from the churchyard are preserved in the church.
A Hutcheson 1906
When taken down in 1794, the east end was seen to bear a remarkable resemblance to the 12th century church of Fowlis Easter (NO33SW 9 - 15th century).
Statistical Account (OSA) 1792
NO 3093 2999. The present church is still in use and no trace of an earlier building can be seen. A restored panel in the tower reads "Founded in 1690". Two stones bearing incised crosses stand against the wall of the vestibule within the church. The tombstone dated 1400 is fixed to the interior of the north wall of the church. Beneath it is a stone with the following inscription: "Found under floor at supposed east end of pre-Reformation church while altering present church 1899".
Visited by OS (EGC) 4 July 1964
Two grave slabs, one to James Fife, d.1588 and the other to Jean Fledger, d.1660, have been removed from the graveyard, conserved and are now displayed within the church lobby.
See MS/1028/164.
NMRS REFERENCE:
Dundee, Longforgan, Main Street, Longforgan Parish Church.
Architect: Alex Hutchison (of Hutchison & Henderson) 1900 (reconstruction).
Sir Robert Lorimer - oak screens.
Photographic Survey (1986)
Recording of gravestones in the churchyard of Longforgan Parish Church, by Mrs Betty Willsher in 1986.
