Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stirling, The Barracks

Armament Depot (19th Century)

Site Name Stirling, The Barracks

Classification Armament Depot (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Railway Company Stores

Canmore ID 317321

Site Number NS89SW 159

NGR NS 80046 93342

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/317321

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Stirling
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Site Management (11 August 2009)

Rectangular stone built two storey building, slated roof. End and central bays advanced, central bay with topped with ball finials. Loading doors in upper storey. Referred to locally as the French Barracks.

Forthside estate was sold to the British Army in 1864, upon the death of Mrs Wallace of Forthside House, for use by the Royal Army Ordnance Corps. The French Barracks formed part of a complex of stores buildings bounded by the railway station to the West and the River Forth to the East.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions