Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stewarton, 1-3 Avenue Street, Institute Hall

Hall (19th Century), Library (19th Century)

Site Name Stewarton, 1-3 Avenue Street, Institute Hall

Classification Hall (19th Century), Library (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Stewarton Library

Canmore ID 316588

Site Number NS44NW 141

NGR NS 41977 45986

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/316588

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Stewarton
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kilmarnock And Loudoun
  • Former County Ayrshire

Site Management (1 March 2010)

2-storey, 4 x 9-bay Classical civic building comprising public halls with library and flat to ground and with 1981 2-storey, 2-bay extension to E. Situated on prominent corner site at head of town centre Square. Droved, coursed sandstone with ashlar margins, concrete harl to 1981 extension. Raised cills, band course, cornice. FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Principal Elevation to S: symmetrical. Central advanced 2-bay pedimented section with clock at apex. Keystoned, round-arched window openings at 1st storey. To W: 9-bays. 3-bays to right with upper storeys blind. Top floor with round-arched openings. Segmental-headed windows set within recessed round-arched voussoired openings to ground. Pedimented doorpiece. To far left; lower bays including symmetrical 5-bay section with door with round-arched moulding with flanking pairs of shaped voussoirs of former round-arched openings to ground (currently with rectangular windows, 2008). Variety of glazing patterns. To S: 8-pane metal glazing pattern to ground, 4-pane timber sash and case windows to 1st storey. Some plate glass timber sash and case windows to W. Grey slates. Piended roof to principal elevation.

The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1854-9 depicts a gap between the principal pedimented building to the South and the 5-bay building to the rear. It is likely that the buildings were joined by the 2-storey linking bay in 1876, when plans were drawn up by John Armour Junior of Irvine. List description updated as part of Stewarton Burgh resurvey, 2009 (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions