Cupar, Market Cross
Market Cross (Period Unassigned)
- Council Fife
- Parish Cupar
- Former Region Fife
- Former District North East Fife
- Former County Fife
NO31SE 7 37523 14570.
(NO 3752 1457) Mercat Cross (NR) (Present Site)
OS 25"map, Fife, (1914)
(NO 3753 1454) Market Cross (NR) (Site of) (original)
OS 6"map, Fife, 1st ed., (1854)
Cupar Cross - In 1817 the Market Cross was removed from Cupar to Wemyss Hall Hill (see NO31SE 20) but in 1897 it was replaced on the present site at the junction of Crossgate, Bonnygate and St. Catherine Street. The pedestal is modern or re-dressed. From it rises a circular shaft bearing the date 1683 and the town motto "Unitas". The capital is modern, but is surmounted by the original unicorn.
"A little to the south of this building (the Tolbooth) stood the old cross of Cupar which was taken down in 1817. A pictorial plan by Gordon of Rothiemay,1642, is reproduced, showing the steps and apparently the base of junction with the Bonnygate. (It seems likely that the present cross was made in 1683 to replace an earlier cross which had been damaged or destroyed by 1642).
A H Millar 1895.
The Cross is as described by RCAHMS (1933). An inscription on the base of the pedestal states that the Cross stood near its present position until it was removed c. 1812, and that the shaft and unicorn of the old Cross were re-erected in 1897.
Ten metres SE of the present position, a hexagonal design, formed by paving stones on the asphalt road surface indicating the earlier site (Information from D B Martin, Burgh surveyor, Cupar).
Visited by OS (D S) 1 November 1956.
Visited by OS (R D L) 21 May 1964.