Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Brechin, Southesk Street, Ebenezer Hall

Church Hall (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Site Name Brechin, Southesk Street, Ebenezer Hall

Classification Church Hall (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Canmore ID 314835

Site Number NO66SW 92

NGR NO 60066 60067

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/314835

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Brechin
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Site Management (12 August 2009)

A former church meeting hall of "tin tabernacle" construction. Single storey corrugated metal meeting hall with high pitched roof and lancet windows, on a restricted plot. Appears on the 2nd edition (1;2:500 series) OS map.

The construction of churches and other buildings in corrugated iron flourished from 1855 through to the 1930s. Quickly erected, they were often supplied as kits through builders' merchants in a variety of sizes and designs. For construction, a simple foundation would be built and the corrugated iron sheets bolted to the wooden frame. The interior would be lined with tongue and groove boarding. Depending on the resources available to the congregation there would be a range of interior fittings and furniture. In due course the corrugated iron church might be replaced by a more permanent stone or brick building, with many being retained as church halls. (Vernacular Building 29, p 680)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions