Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tarvit Farm

Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Tarvit Farm

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 31482

Site Number NO31SE 103

NGR NO 38545 13962

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/31482

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Cupar
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO31SE 103 385 139

NO 3854 1396 Building appraisal was undertaken in November 2006 to inform proposals for redevelopment of this partly derelict steading complex. The U-shaped complex has a 'presentation front' oriented to be viewed from the now-demolished Tarvit House and gardens. The principal frontage contains a pedimented entrance surmounted by a spire, with flanking two-storied ranges and end pavilions. Less substantial ranges, both originally single-storied, run upslope behind the frontage range. One of these retains evidence for an early stables interior of some pretension. A sequence of secondary modifications and extensions were also recorded.

Sponsor: Simpson and Brown, Lomond Homes.

Tom Addyman, 2006.

Activities

Standing Building Recording (16 November 2006)

NO 3854 1396 Analytical was assessment undertaken on 16 November 2006 in order to inform plans for the redevelopment of this formally planned steading complex of c1800. Though conceived as an architectural set-piece to be viewed from Tarvit House to the NW (now demolished), including a monumental two-storied NW frontage with pedimented central entrance and stone spire above, the rear ranges of this complex were much

more simply designed, utilitarian structures.

Although the complex is essentially complete there were a number of subsequent modifications. Of note was later masonry fabric in the SW range that incorporates reused stones of castellated classical detail (perhaps from Tarvit House). The stables interior in the SW range, though damaged, remains a notable survival. The two-storied pavilion at the W angle saw conversion as a cottage in the mid-late 19th century.

Archive deposited with RCAHMS.

Funder: Lomond Homes; Simpson & Brown Architects.

T Addyman 2006

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions