Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lundin Tower

Formal Garden (Post Medieval)(Possible), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Lundin Tower

Classification Formal Garden (Post Medieval)(Possible), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Lundin House; Old Lundin House; Lundin Tower Policies

Canmore ID 31322

Site Number NO30SE 10

NGR NO 39899 02948

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/31322

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Largo
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Architecture Notes

NO30SE 10 39899 02948

(NO 3990 0294) Lundin Tower (NR)

OS 6" map (1938)

NO30SE 33 LUNDIN TOWER, Kennels

NO40SW 54 40007 03043 Dovecot

Lundin House was demolished in 1876 leaving mainly just the Tower and the ruin has subsequently become known as a Lundin Tower.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Lundin Tower is a lofty rubble-built tower, once a part of old Lundin House which was demolished in 1876. The tower has been altered but appears to date from the late 16th or early 17th century.

RCAHMS 1933

The tower, in good condition, is as described by RCAHMS.

Visited by OS (EGC) 16 October 1962

Activities

Field Visit (3 August 1927)

Lundin Tower.

Rather less than half a mile-north-north-west of Lundin Links Station is a lofty rubble-built tower, once a part of old Lundin House which was demolished in 1876. Its main purpose was to contain the stairs, but there are chambers on the two upper floors. There is a parapeted look-out at the top, and the southern angles are turreted. A vaulted chamber adjoins the tower at the ground floor level on the west. The tower itself has been greatly altered; the present staircase is modern, but the stair contained in the eastern turret and leading to the upper floors is original. There is no apparent access to theother turret. To judge by the existing detail, the fragment in its original state dates from the close of the 16th or the beginning of the 17th century.

The house belonged to the family of Lundin. or Lundy of that ilk. Some details of the house proper as it was in 1662, when new work was being done, are given in Lamont's Diary, p. 139.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 3 August 1927.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions