Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gateside

Milestone (19th Century)

Site Name Gateside

Classification Milestone (19th Century)

Canmore ID 312651

Site Number NO10NE 118

NGR NO 18034 09094

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/312651

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Strathmiglo
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Activities

Field Visit (1 December 2011)

This milestone, which stood on the NW side of what is now the A91 public road at Gateside, was not found on the date of visit and it has probably been removed. It is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Fife and Kinross 1856, sheet 16) and in form it was probably similar to another stone (NO21SW 377) in the sequence which is still visible at Auchtermuchty, some four miles to the NE. The stone would have indicated the distances in miles to Cupar (13) to the E, and Kinross (6) to the SW. This milestone was replaced by one of those erected on the S side of the road (see NO21SE 115), the Annals of Kinross-shire noting in October 1876 ‘New milestones have been set down between Cupar and Kinross’.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 1 December 2011.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions