Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilry

Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Kilry

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Standing Stone

Canmore ID 31093

Site Number NO25SW 1

NGR NO 2432 5449

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/31093

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Glenisla
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO25SW 1 2432 5449.

(NO 2432 5449) Standing Stone (NR)

OS 6" map (1927)

The standing stone on Broomhall estate is a large amorphous whinstone, standing in a small field near the confluence of the Kilry Burn and the River Isla. It is c.7' high and c. 10' in circumference at the base. Tradition states that it commemorates a battle fought between the laird of Kilry and the Durwards of Peel.

A J Warden 1882

This unsculptured standing stone measures 2.3m high x 1.4m wide x 0.7m thick and tapers towards the top, its longer axis lying E-W. It is situated in a newly planted plantation.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 8 October 1970

RCAHMS Emergency Survey 1943

Activities

Field Visit (10 August 1942)

Standing Stone, near Standing Stone Cottage WNW of Bridge of Craig.

On the level terrace between the SW bank of the Isla and Kilry Burn stands a stone 7'8" x 3'11" x 2'3" facing S; the back to N is also fairly flat but has one broad belvelled angle.

Visited by RCAHMS (AG and VGC) 10 August 1942.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions