Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rudha Mor

Byre Dwelling (Post Medieval)

Site Name Rudha Mor

Classification Byre Dwelling (Post Medieval)

Canmore ID 309229

Site Number NM95NE 14.06

NGR NM 9689 5594

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/309229

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lismore And Appin (Lochaber)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Argyll

Activities

Reference (1 August 2009 - 1 March 2010)

Old maps.

Field Visit (1 August 2009 - 1 March 2010)

VIsual inspection including clearing the site of bracken and brambles! Photographs: Measured.

This building is shown as roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire and Buteshire 1875, sheet xliii) map but unroofed on the second edition (1897). Bedford's marine chart (1861) calls it Rudha Mor na Cuil F(arm). Census records tell us that it was vacated in the decade after 1881. It lies on the line of the march dyke (stone) between North Cuil and the Back Settlement which runs up from the sea at the base of the east side of Rudha Mor and continues up to the bothy at the nearby lochan. It consists of a dwelling area, a byre area and an outshot. The walls are up to 1 metre high and are built of an inner and outer layer with rubble infill. The byre area is slightly narrower than the dwelling area and no doorway into it is evident. The door to the dwelling area is on the south-east wall and that to the outshot on the north-east. There is no sign of any windows or cruck slots. There are three slate slabs in the floor of the dwelling area which are about 3cms. thick. Probing of this area suggests that the floor might be a further 10cms deeper. Adjacent are several dykes forming small enclosures.

A well shown on the first Ordnance Survey map was reconstructed in the 1970s and is still in existence but has been badly damaged by cattle.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions