Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Melrose, High Street, Greenyards, Melrose Rugby Football Ground

Sports Ground (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Melrose, High Street, Greenyards, Melrose Rugby Football Ground

Classification Sports Ground (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Melrose Rfc

Canmore ID 304624

Site Number NT53SW 236

NGR NT 54530 34253

NGR Description Centred NT 54530 34253

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/304624

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Melrose
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Architecture Notes

NT53SW 236 centred 54530 34253

The Greenyards is situated on the N side of the High Street and the rugby club playing area and grandstand occupy an area of about 1.2 hectares

The Greenyards were presented to the town by Charles Ormiston, a former seed merchant from Melrose, it has now become the home ground of Melrose Rugby Football Club who were founded in 1877. The game of Rugby Sevens was invented here in 1883 and is now played annually in April.

The press box in the mansard roof of the stand dates from the 1930s. The main stand on the E side of the playing area has 1174 seats.

Information from RCAHMS (DRE), May 2010

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions