Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilspindie Parish Church And Old Parish Church

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Lych Gate (20th Century), Mausoleum (Period Unassigned), Sundial (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kilspindie Parish Church And Old Parish Church

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Lych Gate (20th Century), Mausoleum (Period Unassigned), Sundial (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Kilspindie Parish Church, Churchyard And Stuart Of Rait Mausoleum; War Memorial Lych Gate

Canmore ID 30453

Site Number NO22NW 43

NGR NO 21997 25752

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/30453

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Kilspindie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO22NW 43 21997 25752

For old (Rait) parish church (NO 2274 2685), see NO22NW 3.

For architectural fragments built into the fabric of the church, see NO22NW 11.

For Kilspindie Manse, see NO22NW 72

There are no visible remains of the medieval parish church of Kilspindie. The fabric of the present church, which is of 19th-century date, incorporates in re-use a number of moulded stones, particularly in the S wall above the doorway at the W end and the window at the E end. Immediately W of this window there is a 17th-century sundial, and central to the wall there is a small collared capital. Some of these stones could, however, have come from Kilspindie castle (NO22NW 11) which formerly stood close by. In the burial-ground there are at least two 17th-century gravestones, and also a number of 18th-century date. The church of Kilspindie is on record in 1395.

Visited by RCAHMS (PC), June 1989.

Activities

Photographic Survey (1986)

Recording of gravestones in Kilspindie Churchyard by Mrs Betty Willsher in 1986.

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions