Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Regent Road, Panel With Medallions Of Wilson, Kennedy, Templeton

Plaque (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Regent Road, Panel With Medallions Of Wilson, Kennedy, Templeton

Classification Plaque (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Calton Hill Steps; Scottish Singers

Canmore ID 302221

Site Number NT27SE 6050

NGR NT 26105 74093

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/302221

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (25 April 2002)

Panel containing three bronze portrait medallions of John Wilson, John Templeton and David Kennedy. Wilson and Templeton (left and right) are facing inwards; Kennedy (centre) is facing right. Around each bust is a wreath, and below each is the singer's name. Above the central portrait is a floral design containing a lyre.

In the Town Council Minutes of 23 January 1894, it was reported that a committee of the Edinburgh Burns Club asked permission from the Town Council of Edinburgh to affix the tablet in the face of the boundary wall at the west end of Princes Street Gardens. A Sub-Committee of the Public Parks Committee, after visiting and considering various sites, recommended that the panel be attached to the rock face fronting Regent Road immediately to the east of the steps leading from the end of Waterloo Place to Calton Hill.

Commemorates three 19th century singers who took Scots songs all over the world: John Wilson (1800-49) who died in Quebec; John Templeton (1802-86); David Kennedy (1825-86).

Inspected By : Emma Retson

Inscriptions : In centre of plaque, above portrait of Kennedy (incised letters): IN / MEMORIAM

Below portrait of Wilson (incised letters): WILSON

Below portrait of Templeton (incised letters): TEMPLETON

Below portrait of Kennedy (incised letters): KENNEDY / 1825-1886

Signatures : On bottom right edge (incised letters): W G STEVENSON

Design period : 1893-1894

Year of unveiling : 1894

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0475)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions