Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Edinburgh, 100 Pilton Drive, Ferryfield House

Nursing Home (Modern)

Site Name Edinburgh, 100 Pilton Drive, Ferryfield House

Classification Nursing Home (Modern)

Canmore ID 302218

Site Number NT27NW 594

NGR NT 23338 75942

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/302218

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (26 June 2003)

Lion rampant on a shield

The coat of arms was originally on the Northern General Hospital, which was designed in 1893 as the Leith Public Health Hospital by the Burgh architect James Simpson. The hospital was finished by Simpson's son George. Ferryfield House was built in 1996 and the coat of arms was moved there.

Inspected By : Joan M. Kennedy

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1893 (Ferryfield House built 1996)

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0970)

Field Visit (26 June 2003)

Leith coat of arms, consisting of a sailing boat with the Virgin Mary carrying the Christ child in her arms.

See EDIN0970

Inspected By : Joan M. Kennedy

Inscriptions : At top of coat of arms: SIGILLUM OPPIDI DE LEITH

At bottom of coat of arms: PERSEVERE

Signatures : None

Design period : 1893 (Ferryfield House built 1996)

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0971)

Archaeological Evaluation (17 September 2013 - 19 September 2013)

NT 2337 7595 An evaluation was carried out, 17–19 September 2013, on the site of the former football ground prior to its proposed development. The evaluation of 10% of the 2.13ha area was restricted by the presence of numerous live services and exclusion zones. The majority of the area had been heavily truncated and only a small pocket of undisturbed ground, containing a relict ploughsoil, was located in the NE part of the site. With the exception of a single sherd of medieval White Gritty Ware recovered from the imported topsoil, no archaeological remains predating the late 19th/early 20th centuries were recorded.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: J Smart and Co (Contractors) PLC

Rob Engl, AOC Archaeology Group, 2013

(Source: DES)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions