Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Erskine, Park Quay

Jetty (19-20th Century), Quay (19-20th Century), Slipway (19-20th Century)

Site Name Erskine, Park Quay

Classification Jetty (19-20th Century), Quay (19-20th Century), Slipway (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) River Clyde

Canmore ID 301777

Site Number NS47SE 257

NGR NS 47436 70692

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/301777

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Inchinnan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS47SE 257 47436 70692

Park Quay (disused) [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, January 2010.

Activities

Field Visit (27 May 2015)

Park Quay comprises a rectangular dock measuring 54m from N to S by 10.1m transversely, with a broad stone jetty forming its E side and a battered stone wall forming its W side. The jetty measures 70m in length by 16m in breadth and it once carried a road or track to the river’s edge. At the north end of the E side of the dock, the vertical wall has collapsed. The dock incorporates a slipway at its southern end which once enabled access to the river at low tide.

The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Renfrewshire 1864, sheet VIII) depicts a broad jetty at this location, which extended at least another 30m into the river as far as the low water mark. The dock, which was constructed sometime between 1864 and 1895, when the revision of the OS map was undertaken (Renfrewshire 1898, Sheet VIII.NW), also extended as far into the river. By this time, however, the jetty had lost its regular form though it is not clear from the map whether this represents a rebuild or the effects of erosion. The present square end to the jetty is shown only on a relatively late (1939) revision of the map (Renfrewshire 1951, Sheet VIII.NW), suggesting that the present visible stonework may date to the 1920s or 30s.

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH, DD) 27 May 2015.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions