Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Arnot Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Arnot Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Arnot Castle

Canmore ID 30016

Site Number NO20SW 8

NGR NO 20602 01664

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/30016

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Portmoak (Perth And Kinross)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Kinross-shire

Archaeology Notes

NO20SW 8 20602 01664

(NO 2060 0167) Arnot Tower (NR) (Ruins of).

OS 6" map (1938)

Arnot Tower, which stands beside the modern house, dates from the 16th century and has been oblong on plan, measuring externally 32 1/2 by 26 1/2 feet. It is four storeys high, the basement only being vaulted, and is built of ashlar. Two later outbuildings have been reared against the tower walls, the one on the east is fragmentary and only the western wall of the southern one remains. The present tower looks like 15th century work (MacGibbon and Ross 1889) and was probably erected on the site of an older one. It had a courtyard to the south.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; RCAHMS 1933.

Generally as described and planned. The tower is situated in the NW corner of a small courtyard measuring 32.0m N-S by 23.0m transversely and there are slight traces of a building c.23.0m E-W by 6.5m transversely along the inside of the S wall of the courtyard.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 13 April 1972.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions