Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

Edinburgh, Leith Fort, Stage Ii

Tower Block (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith Fort, Stage Ii

Classification Tower Block (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Edinburgh, Leith Fort, Lindsay Street

Canmore ID 299862

Site Number NT27NE 1604

NGR NT 26162 76630

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/299862

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Commission And Contract (1961)

A seven-storey tower block built as public housing by Edinburgh Borough Council. The block was part of Stage II of the Leith Fort redevelopment scheme. The block contains 157 dwellings in total. Construction was approved by committee in 1961. The contractor for the development was J. Smart & Co. (Contractors) Ltd.

Glendinning and Methusius 1994

Photographic Record (November 1982)

Photo taken by Dr Miles Glendinning for research purposes.

Archaeological Evaluation (26 September 2011 - 12 October 2011)

NT 2615 7662 An evaluation was undertaken 26 September–12 October 2011 on the site of Fort House prior to its demolition. The aim of the evaluation was to target the remains of the early 19th-century extension to the fort, as shown on Kirkwood’s map of 1817 and the 1st Edition OS map of 1853. Sixteen trenches were excavated, spread across five areas of the site (A to E), amounting to 4% of the area available for trenching.

The trenches located a number of features and finds. These were mostly concentrated towards the S end of the site and included walls and surfaces of the Ordnance Store, stable blocks and ancillary buildings, parade ground surfaces and a possible ‘target’ location within the parade ground. A number of concrete wall bases were recorded to the N. These may relate to the later use of the fort, which was occupied until the 1950s. An E W aligned ditch was recorded in the central part of the site, within the area of the parade ground. The fill of the ditch, which is not shown on any of the maps of the fort, contained oyster shell and demolition rubble. The finds from the ditch indicated a late 18th-century date, which suggests that its infilling may have coincided with the construction of the initial fort building and battery to the N of the present site.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended). Reports: CECAS and RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: City of Edinburgh Council

Headland Archaeology Ltd 2011

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions