Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 125 High Street, North Gray's Close. City Tan Works

Tannery (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 125 High Street, North Gray's Close. City Tan Works

Classification Tannery (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) J Hewit And Sons Ltd

Canmore ID 299559

Site Number NT27SE 6020

NGR NT 2598 7371

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/299559

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 6020 NT 259 737

J Hewit and Sons Ltd's City Tan Works, was situated in the High Street in the area of North Grays Close and Morrison's Close at c. NT 259 737. The company had a another tanyard at Currie (see NT16NE 119). The company always specialised in the fine or 'light' leather trades, bookbinding leathers being produced by 1889. The grindery was maintained at Niddrie Street, Edinburgh until 1938. The City Tan works was originally rented in 1865 as an extension for 'Light' leather tanning and dressing. The premises were then bought by the company in 1868 and extended in 1880. These original buildings were destroyed by fire in 1884 but to what extent rebuilt is unknown. In 1955 the premises were again destroyed by fire but the company continued at the site until 1969.

Information from RCAHMS (MMD), 24 July 2009.

Golf Monthly, 1935; Pers. Comm. Mr Roger Barlee, Managing Director, J Hewit and Sons Ltd, 2008; J Hewit and Sons Ltd, 1956; http://www.hewit.com/history.htm (retrieved 15 December 2008)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions