Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Corston Tower

Dovecot (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Corston Tower

Classification Dovecot (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Corston Castle

Canmore ID 29867

Site Number NO20NW 1

NGR NO 20687 09794

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/29867

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Strathmiglo
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO20NW 1 20687 09794 to 2066 0980.

(NO 2068 0979) Corston Tower (NR) (Ruins of)

OS 6" (1938)

Corston Tower was three storeys and an attic in height. The kitchen was a single-storey building at the SW corner. 'About five years ago, the whole structure with the exception of the east wall fell...' The lower part of the old walls was rebuilt.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892

This 16th century tower was oblong in shape, measuring 26 x 21ft, the masonry being of rubble with ashlar dressing. Twenty yards NE of the tower is a fragment of a rectangular dovecot.

RCAHMS 1933

The remains of Corston Tower are as described by RCAHMS. The east wall is about 10.0m high, the other walls being 1 to 2.0m high, and 1.0m thick. Only the NE corner of the dovecot (NO 2066 0980) remains the east wall being 3.0m long, the north 1.5m. Both walls are of rubble and 0.4m thick.

Visited by OS (DS) 29 October 1956

Generally as described above. The dovecot has been further reduced.

Visited by OS (RD) 31 March 1967

Activities

Field Visit (5 June 1928)

Corston Tower.

The shell of this 16th century tower survives in a field on the right bank of the River Eden and less than half a mile south-west of Strathmiglo station. The east wall is still standing to the height of the third-floor windows, but the remains of the other walls are inconsiderable. The masonry is of rubble with ashlar dressings. On plan the building has been oblong, measuring externally 26 ½ feet from north to south by 21 feet 10 inches from east to west. At the south-west angle is a rounded projection, which may represent the lower part of a turnpike. The entrance, one jamb of which has at some time been renewed, that has survived is part of a window looking north.

DOVECOT. Some 20 yards to the north-east of the tower is a fragment of a rectangular dovecot.

HISTORICAL NOTE. - The lands of Corston were occupied by Ramsays during the 16th century, in 1540 "with the manor-place", in 1581/2 "with the tower, cottages, &c." - Reg. Mag. Sig., s.a., No. 2184; No. 327.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 5 June 1928.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions