Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Spittal Of Glenshee, Church

Parish Church (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Spittal Of Glenshee, Church

Classification Parish Church (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Church Of Scotland, Glenshee; War Memorial Plaque

Canmore ID 29600

Site Number NO17SW 11

NGR NO 10882 70190

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/29600

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Kirkmichael (Perth And Kinross)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO17SW 11.00 10882 70190

NO17SW 11.01 10904 70172 Burial Ground

The site of a chapel of 18th-century date or earlier is indicated by a rectangular depression measuring 14.4m from WNW to ESE by 5.3m transversely and up to 0.3m deep on the SE side of the walled burial-ground within which the present church (1831) now stands. There are a number of 18th-century gravestones.

There is no documentary evidence to support the view that there was ever a medieval hospital at Spittal, however, 'the Chapel-crofts' are on record in 1615; the chapel is depicted on Brown's 1808 survey and is shown as unroofed.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) 24 April 1987.

RCAHMS 1990

Activities

Photographic Survey (1987)

Recording of gravestones in Glenshee Churchyard by Mrs Betty Willsher in 1987.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions