Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Woodside, Hill Of Drimmie

Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Site Name Woodside, Hill Of Drimmie

Classification Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) East Drimmie Farm

Canmore ID 29209

Site Number NO15SE 9

NGR NO 18487 50054

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/29209

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Rattray
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO15SE 9 1848 5005

See also NO15SE 55.

(NO 1853 5007) Horse Stone (NAT)

(NO 1848 5005) Stones (NR)

OS 6" map, Perthshire, 2nd ed. (1901)

Stone circle, near Woodside, Hill of Drimmie: It consists of four principal stones, A, B, D and E, and it is uncertain whether these were once erect or were placed as they are now. In the former case, they would form a circle 22' in diameter, but as they lie the circle is only 15'9".

F R Coles 1909

The adjacent Horse Stone is a recumbent (? former standing) stone about 8' long.

Name Book 1864

Burl lists this feature as a "4-Poster", which he dates to c. 1800 B C.

H A W Burl 1971

This stone circle lies on a ridge, partially inside a forestry plantation. Stones A, B, D, E and F exist as described and planned by Coles; C is now turf-covered but was located by probing. Three stones (G, H and J) were found in addition to those shown by Coles. (See amended plan). Stne G lies flush with the ground and is partially turf-covered. Stone H is a large block measuring 1.1m x 0.7m x 0.3m high, which lies on the ground outside the general circumference of the circle, and as it was not recorded by Coles, it must be assumed that it is not part of the original circle. Stone J was located by probing between D and E. A, B, D and E are the largest stones, but the discovery of G, H and J casts doubt on Burl's suggestion that this is a four- poster.

Surveyed at 1:10,000 scale.

The 'Horse Stone' could not be found in dense afforestation.

Visited by OS (DWR) 10 March 1971

Activities

Field Visit (7 August 1942)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.

Field Visit (October 1986)

The remains of this probable stone circle lie in a dip between two low ridges, and the greater part of the site is now within a forestry plantation. All six stones are prostrate, and there is no reason to believe as Burl suggests that it was once a four-poster.

The so called 'Horse Stone' is now NO15SE 55.

Visited by RCAHMS (JBS) October 1986.

RCAHMS 1990

Measured Survey (8 October 1986)

RCAHMS surveyed the stone circle at Woodside by alidade and plane-table on 8 October 1986 at a scale of 1:125. The resultant plan was redrawn in ink and published at a scale of 1:250 (RCAHMS 1990, Fig. 84).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions