Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 726 Cumbernauld Road, The Riddrie

Cinema (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 726 Cumbernauld Road, The Riddrie

Classification Cinema (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Riddrie Supercinema; The Vogue; Nb Bingo; Bingo Hall

Canmore ID 291727

Site Number NS66NW 465

NGR NS 62522 65496

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/291727

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Riddrie Supercinema, 1937, James McKissack

One of McKissack's best cinema designs, built for George Smith and James Welsh, pioneer cinema promoters, with 1,750 seats. On an open site, the bulk of the auditorium was partly disguised by good use of the sloping site. The streamlined forms, developing the concept of differing volumes arranged in proportion to each other, built up to the central entrance, topped with the name. Opened in 1938 as the Riddrie Picture House, it became one of George Singleton's Vogue Cinemas in 1950, was sympathetically converted to a bingo hall in 1968 and remains the flagship of NB Bingo. Much of the interior decoration remains intact.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions