Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

Corriefeol

Byre (Period Unassigned), Enclosure (Period Unassigned), Gamekeepers House (19-20th Century), Kennels (Period Unassigned), Sheepfold (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Corriefeol

Classification Byre (Period Unassigned), Enclosure (Period Unassigned), Gamekeepers House (19-20th Century), Kennels (Period Unassigned), Sheepfold (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 288742

Site Number NH25SW 15

NGR NH 2035 5085

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/288742

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Contin
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH25SW 15 2035 5085

This township and sheepfold, which are situated to the S bank of the River Meig, have been recorded on oblique aerial photography (RCAHMSAP 2007).

Information from RCAHMS (VLW) 22 May 2007

Activities

Field Visit (12 June 2007 - 17 December 2007)

SRP Strathconon Survey

Srp Note (22 March 2010)

The township of Corriefeol is situated on a NW facing slope at the head of particularly fertile delta of land, the fluvial outwash of the Allt Coire na Feòla. The site comprises the remains of the township, farmstead and keepers house, associated structures and a number of sheepfolds. The present landscape shows ample evidence for past land improvement and re-organisation so it is likely that the greater part of the settlement remains relate to the post-improvement period.

The settlement is not shown on the Roy map of c.1750, but is marked on James Flint’s plan of the Strathconan Estate in 1825. On the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xcvi) it is shown on the N side of the Allt Coire na Feòla. Larger enclosures and sheepfolds occupy an area of improved ground on the south side of the burn.

The remains of the township (Nosas Site Survey Nos 507-516, 521) centred on NH 2038 5078 occupies the upper, SE part of the site and comprises the low turf and stone footings of up to eight rectangular buildings, including a kiln barn at NH20351 50780 and an enclosure. The majority of the buildings form single compartments with characteristically rounded external corners. Some are scarped into, and aligned with, the NW facing slope, with drainage ditches upslope.

The later phase of settlement on the site is represented by the 19th century farmstead, house and kennels and smaller ancillary sructures (Nosas Site Survey Nos 500-506, 515, 517-520, 522-526, 661) centred on NH 2034 5085.

The principal buildings – the house and byre (503 & 505) in their earliest form are characterised as being regular in plan and constructed of mortar bonded stone masonry with dressed margins and include some brick built features. The house is of simple rectangular plan with a porch to the front and a single outshot. The byre comprises three compartments representing consecutive phases with evidence for trevisses in the larger compartment. Between the house and the byre is a midden yard (504) and to the rear of the byre a kennels block (506).

To the NW of the house and bounded on 3 sides by the riveris a field, whgich is enclosed on its S side by a wall (Nosas Site survey 526 and 518) and within it there are 3 smaller enclosures, 2 of which are surrounded by turf and stone walls (Nosas Site Survey 500 and 501)

Two enclosures and a sheepfold (Nosas Site Survey 497 – 499) are located on the S side of the Allt Coire na Feola. Enclosure 497 is probably an early sheepfold, it is surrounded by degraded turf walls, whereas sheepfold 499 which appears to have had 2 phases of construction, is now a single compartment surrounded by a substantially constructed stone wall, collapsed in places, up to 1.2m height.

Information from North of Scotland Archaeology Society

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions