Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, St John Street, Moray House College Of Education, Charteris Land

College (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, St John Street, Moray House College Of Education, Charteris Land

Classification College (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Department Of Educational Studies

Canmore ID 287757

Site Number NT27SE 1756.03

NGR NT 26349 73638

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/287757

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 1756.03 NT 26343 73646

NT27SE 1756.00 NT 26438 73619 Patterson's Land

NT27SE 1756.01 NT 26406 73709 Thomson's land / Demonstration School

NT27SE 1756.02 NT 26374 73678 Reception / Nursery School

NT27SE 1756.04 NT 26295 73646 Chessel's Land/Visual Arts

NT27SE 1756.05 NT 26279 73587 St Mary's Land/Science, Technical Education & Home Economics

In the late 1950s & 1960s in response to the shortage of teachers in Scotland at the time, Moray House purchased land adjacent to its existing estate between Holyrood Road and the Canongate in order to expand its facilities. In 1964 Moray House commissioned Gordon and Dey architects to design a new ten storey teaching block at the Chareteris Land site. The Royal Fine Art Commission objected to the proposed height and therefore the building was not completed until 1969 and was limited to six storeys. Information from RCAHMS (EL) April 2007.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (3 April 2002)

Four cast concrete reliefs. Facing the street is a row of three abstract oval shapes containing organic shapes, lines, jagged shards. The background is made up of small circular shapes and small shards. Turning the inner corner on the left, the fourth relief is as above, one large roundish shape.

Inspected By : A. Taubman

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1035)

Archaeological Evaluation (10 March 2008 - November 2008)

NT 2637 7362 Work was undertaken March–November 2008 prior to the construction of an extension. A single

trench of 10m² was excavated. This revealed deep deposits of made ground consisting of clayey gravel, mixed with thin re-deposited soils and mortar lenses. Occasional postmedieval finds were recovered. A watching brief during construction on two additional areas recorded deep deposits of made ground but no features or deposits of archaeological significance.

Archive: City of Edinburgh SMR and RCAHMS

Funder: The University of Edinburgh

Linda Somerville and Helena Gray (CFA Archaeology Ltd), 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions