Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Tomocrocher

Classification Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Morenish Crofts

Canmore ID 287496

Site Number NN63NW 127

NGR NN 6100 3574

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Kenmore (Perth And Kinross)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN63NW 127 6100 3574.

There are no visible remains of the township depicted at this location on John Farquharson's 1769 Survey of the North Side of Loch Tay (National Archives of Scotland, RHP 973/1, Plan 4). Farquharson shows a settlement comprising nine buildings and two enclosures, and it was the largest of nine settlements depicted on the farm of Tomocrocher. The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Perthshire 1867, sheet lxviii) depicts a settlement of ten roofed buildings and two enclosures, whose ground plan has some similarities to that mapped in 1769, and most of those buildings are shown once again, still roofed, on the 2nd edition of that map (Perthshire 1901, sheet lxviii SE). The site is now occupied by a private house, a restaurant and a car park.

Harrison (RCAHMS MS 1155/6, p.77 and Appendix) notes that Tomocrocher appears to have been redeveloped at the end of the 18th century as a hamlet for old crofters, and the censuses of 1841 and 1851 list the occupations of the inhabitants of Tomocrocher as either agricultural labourers or artisans. Christie records that by the late 19th century this part of Tomocrocher formed part of the Morenish Crofts.

(BL00 2527)

Visited by RCAHMS (ATW) 25 October 2001

Christie 1892.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions