Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 71-75 Grove Street, New Pavilion Theatre

Cinema (20th Century), Leisure Centre (20th Century), Theatre (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 71-75 Grove Street, New Pavilion Theatre

Classification Cinema (20th Century), Leisure Centre (20th Century), Theatre (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Prince Of Wales Theatre; Pringle's Picture Palace; Garrick Theatre; Marco's Leisure

Canmore ID 287287

Site Number NT27SW 4604

NGR NT 24426 73036

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/287287

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Summary Record (26 May 2015)

The original building on the site was demolished to make way for the New Pavilion Theater, which opened in February 1897. It became the Prince of Wales early in 1906, followed as the Alhambra by Nov 1906. From November 1908 it was Pringle's Picture Palace, showing only films, before reverting to variety theatre as The Garrick by January 1917. It retained that name until its closure in 1921, following a major fire which led to the demolition of the auditorium. Only the facade was retained. A bakery (latterly leisure centre) was built to the side. Along with the other structures in this stretch, the façade and leisure center were demolished in c2012 to make way for a student residence.

RCAHMS (CAJS, AA) 2015.

Activities

Photographic Survey (18 April 2007)

Photographed by the Threatened Buildings Survey prior to proposed demolition and re-development.

RCAHMS (CAJS) 2012.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions