Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Site Name Kynballoch

Classification Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Glenballoch; East Drimmie; New Rattray

Canmore ID 28706

Site Number NO14NE 10

NGR NO 179 495

NGR Description NO c. 179 495

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Rattray
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO14NE 10 c. 179 495

(Area: NO 179 495) A 'stone circle' once stood 'not many score of yards' to the W of the standing stone site (NO14NE 9) at Woodside, but farther down the hill and nearer the river. The site was pointed out to Coles by the son of the finder of a cinerary urn within the circle. The circle was apparently destroyed prior to the O S 1st edn survey (i.e. pre-1864) and the remarkably fine cinerary urn found there was 'full of bones and protected by stones built round it in a bee-hive form'. The urn (in fragments) was given to Allen by the finder, restored, and donated to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland [NMAS] (Accession no EA 2).

The nature of the find suggests that the site was possibly a cairn circle rather than a stone circle in the accepted sense.

J R Allen 1881; F R Coles 1909.

No trace.

Visited by OS (AA) 6 February 1974


Field Visit (7 October 1986)

Nothing can be seen of what was described as a stone circle (possibly a cairn) that once lay to the SW of Kynballoch (then Glenballoch) farmhouse and 'not many square yards to the west' (F R Coles 1909) of the standing stone NO 14 NE 9. In the 19th century an Enlarged Food Vessel Urn (RMS EA2) was discovered at the site, and when found it 'was full of bones, and was protected by stones built round it in a beehive form' (J R Allen 1881).

Visited by RCAHMS (JBS) 7 October 1986.

RCAHMS 1990.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions