Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stirling, Forthside, Ministry Of Defence Ordnance Depot

Military Depot (20th Century), Military Depot (Second World War), Military Depot (First World War)

Site Name Stirling, Forthside, Ministry Of Defence Ordnance Depot

Classification Military Depot (20th Century), Military Depot (Second World War), Military Depot (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Springkerse Industrial Estate

Canmore ID 285840

Site Number NS89SW 149

NGR NS 80449 93213

NGR Description Centred NS 80449 93213

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/285840

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish St Ninians
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (3 October 2013)

The military Ordnance Depot first appears , marked "Ordnance Stores", on the 2nd edition OS map (Perth & Clackmannan, surveyed 1899). At that date it comprised ten buildings of varying size, at the northern end of what be the final extent of the site. Six of the buildings were directly served by railway sidings The depot was linked to the goods sidings of Stirling Station at its southern end.

By the time of the 1922 Stirlingshire sheet nXVI.NE (25-inch map, surveyed 1914) the depot (still labelled "Ordnance Stores" had grown. There were now over 20 buildings, virtually all of which were adjacent to railway sidings. The mapping of War Office boundary stones suggests that the depot extended by this date as far north as Shore Road and incorporated Forthside House (NS79SE 259).

The depot seems to have remained at this size until at least 1938 (when the OS 6-inch map published in 1947 was surveyed). A 1:2500 map (surveyed 1942, published 1947) shows that there had been considerable expansion in the early years of the war.

Six buildings of the complex survive, three of which were on the 1899 map, and all on the 1913 survey. The largest, sometimes called 'barrack-like' but having large ground- and first-floor loading doors, the latter with a gantry over, seems unliekly as being for accommodation.

To its north four storage buildings, each with three loading doors on both floors, survive; the western pair were in place by 1899, the eastern by 1913. These buildings were served by two railway sidings running between them.

To the north again a sixth building, now isolated, stands. It was in place by 1913 and has a large south-facing door and a raised lantern running the length of the roof. On the 1913 map this building is shown as having a rail siding running to, and perhaps through, the southern door.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 3 October 2013.

Archaeology Notes

NS89SW 149.00 centred 80449 93213

NS89SW 149.01 NS 80311 93240 Military training area

The Mnistry of Defence Ordnance Depot is situated in an area S of the River Forth and about 800m SW of Stirling Railway Station (NS79SE 162), occupying about 57.2 hectares.

The site is visible on RAF WW II oblique aerial views (No.1 CAM, AF 802-803 and AF 805-806, flown 8 May 1942), it is also visible on many subsequent RAF and other postwar sorties up to 1988.

Within the depot were several large sheds, a barrack like building and stone buildings along with Nissen and other type huts.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), January 2007

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions