Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Moated Site (Medieval)

Site Name Links

Classification Moated Site (Medieval)

Canmore ID 28523

Site Number NO13NE 55

NGR NO 1825 3864

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Cargill
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes (23 September 1997)

NO13NE 55 1825 3864.

This site is listed in an Atlas of Scottish History (McNeill and MacQueen 1996) as a moated site.

Information from RCAHMS (DE) 23 September 1997


Aerial Photographic Transcription (17 January 1989)

An aerial transcription was produced from oblique aerial photographs. Information from Historic Environment Scotland (BM) 31 March 2017.

Aerial Photographic Interpretation (22 December 1992)

NO13NE 55 1825 3864. Air photography has recorded the cropmarks of what has probably been a rectangular moated site on the edge of a terrace overlooking the River Isla. It measures some 30m across within a ditch up to 5m broad, and bears evidence of an internal palisade. This monument may be tentatively identified as the estate centre of William, son of Alexander, to whom Richard de Montfiquet granted lands in the barony of Cargill at the end of the 12th century; these lands included an oxgang and toft beside Leyston. The farm of Links (situated 630m to the WSW) was formerly called Easter Hatton, which is on record by the 16th century. The 'hall' element of this ('Ha-toun') place-name may refer to the buildings that formerly stood within the moat.

Information from RCAHMS (JRS) 22 December 1992.

Reg Reg Scot 1971; Reg Mag Sig 1984

Field Visit (1996 - 2003)

Russell Coleman managed an Historic Scotland funded project to record medieval moated sites in Scotland. Gazetteers were produced for each regional council area between 1996 and 2002 with an uncompleted overall review in 2002-03. The results of the first year of the project were published in Tayside and Fife Archaeological Journal, Volume 3 (1997).


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions