Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Perth, Stanners Island, Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Perth, Stanners Island, Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) The Stanners; River Tay; Perth, Old Bridge

Canmore ID 28447

Site Number NO12SW 77

NGR NO 1213 2372

NGR Description NO 1199 2384 to NO 1225 2393

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/28447

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Perth
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO12SW 77 1213 2372.

(NO 1213 2372) Bridge (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, (1959)

For (successor and present) Perth and Queen's Bridges (NO 1212 2387 and NO 1211 2343), see NO12SW 149 and NO12SW 264 respectively.

A bridge over the Tay was begun in 1605 and completed in 1617. It passed north-easterly over the lower part of 'Stanners Island'; it failed to withstand the floods and in 1621 only one broken arch was left standing.

R S Fittes 1879.

(Location cited as NO 122 237). Stanners Island, Kinnoull ph., medieval bridge footing, possible. A line of white water running diagonally NE from the foot of the High Street to Stanners Island was noted on the River Tay. Low tide and drought made examination of this line with Stanners Island possible. An area of roughly dressed masonry and several large timbers were noted. Three of the timbers were 0.2m by 0.3m in section and were angled down into the river bed. It was possible that these timbers were part of the footings of one of the medieval bridges across the Tay. No dating evidence was found.

Sponsors: SDD (AM), SUAT.

L Ross and R M Spearman 1982a.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions