Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Perth, Needless Road, Pitheavlis Castle

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Perth, Needless Road, Pitheavlis Castle

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Pitcheavlis Castle

Canmore ID 28413

Site Number NO12SW 46

NGR NO 10518 22805

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/28413

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Perth
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO12SW 1051 2280

(NO 1031 2280) Pitcheavlis Castle (NR)

OS 25" map, (1932).

Owners: Perth Town Council per City Factor- divided into flats.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Pitcheavlis Castle is a simple oblong structure having a square tower at the south-west corner with two angle turrets, and furnished with gunholes.

Pitheavlis although not referred to in local histories is a very characteristic specimen of a Scottish home of the sixteenth century. In 1586 a charter confirms its sale. The house is partly inhabited as a farmhouse, but it does not appear to be well maintained or cared for.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

A much restored 16th century house with harled walls and generally as described above, except that in addition there is a round tower projecting from the north wall. It is now a private residence.

Visited by OS (J L D), 14 December 1960.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions