Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Perth, 1-3 High Street, City Chambers

Spur

Site Name Perth, 1-3 High Street, City Chambers

Classification Spur

Alternative Name(s) Perth, Tolbooth; Council Chambers

Canmore ID 28281

Site Number NO12SW 125

NGR NO 1207 2366

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/28281

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Perth
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO12SW 125 1207 2366

For Perth, Tolbooth, see NO12SW 340.

For original harbour, see NO12SW 1142.

A number of piles were inserted to re-inforce the standing building at Perth (City Chambers). In the course of this work over two seasons, organic midden material to a depth of 6.0m was identified, together with a large quantity of medieval finds including pottery, decorated leather and textiles. The stone foundations of earlier buildings were located and some large jointed timbers, perhaps representing elements of the medieval harbour wharfage, tolbooth, chapel and bridge known to have existed in the vicinity.

L Blanchard and M Spearman 1980; A T Simpson and A S Stevenson 1982.

Apart from the artefacts recovered in the course of excavation/watching brief work there are also earlier finds not archaeologically recorded.

A Rowel Spur was found at this site, described by Blanchard and Spearman as 1-5 High Street. The overall length is 145mm; the neck is 42mm long and the rowel box is 32mm long. The spur is for the right foot and has decoration on the top, sides and buckle areas. The surface shows considerable remains of plating, possibly tin. Dated to the 13th-14th century.

Information from RCAHMS (FO), 25 October 1996.

Activities

Excavation (1980 - 1981)

A number of piles were inserted to re-inforce the standing building at Perth (City Chambers). In the course of this work over two seasons, organic midden material to a depth of 6.0m was identified, together with a large quantity of medieval finds including pottery, decorated leather and textiles. The stone foundations of earlier buildings were located and some large jointed timbers, perhaps representing elements of the medieval harbour wharfage, tolbooth, chapel and bridge known to have existed in the vicinity.

L Blanchard and M Spearman 1980; A T Simpson and A S Stevenson 1982.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions