Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Arbroath, Dundee Road, Seaforth House

Country House (Period Unassigned), Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Arbroath, Dundee Road, Seaforth House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned), Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Seforth Hotel

Canmore ID 282495

Site Number NO64SW 416

NGR NO 63504 40212

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/282495

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Arbroath And St Vigeans
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Architecture Notes

NO64SW 416 63504 40214

Seaforth House, part of the fire damaged Seaforth Hotel is a two storey building with Dutch gables of c.1830. Later extension to NW in same style, but slightly higher and larger building and two storey 20th century extensions to NE and S. Set within the remains of a walled garden with two brick and stone lectern style garden sheds surviving.

The original house and extension with the rest of the hotel have been badly damaged by a fire in 2006 and is now reduced to a roofless shell.

The original Seaforth House is shown on Wood's Town Plan of 1822 and depicted on the Ordnance Survey 1:500 scale plan of 1858 (OS 1:500 plan, Forfarshire, 1858, sheet xlvi 15.17). By the date of the second edition of the 25-inch map (Forfarshire, 1903, sheet 15), several additional buildings including glasshouses had been constructed within the walled garden. Elements of the walled garden survive including a bricked up arched entranceway in the wall at the SW corner and triangular coping stone on the south wall. The south wall separated the garden from a railway, annotated as 'Old Railway' on the early OS maps.

The Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey describes the house as 'A fine house situated on the Dundee Road about a mile from Arbroath it is at present under Trustees' (Name Book 29 September1859).

Visited by RCAHMS (DE), 31 August 2006

The fire damaged hotel has now been demolished.

Visted by RCAHMS (GL), November 2006

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions